Sunday 7 December 2014

Cheapside & Guildhall strategy - Comment now ...

Below are some thoughts/observations on the City's "Cheapside & Guildhall strategy" from the chair of the BA planning committee.  

If you'd like to make your views known you need to get them to the City by Friday 12 December 2014. Visit http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/cheapsidearea or email cheapside@cityoflondon.gov.uk.

The City have told me they intend to maintain the existing highwalk access to the south of the rotunda, but I want to head off two threats down the line. 
I bet the Museum gets its street-level entrance, and I bet they won't keep any public entrance on the highwalk: they won't want to maintain and secure two public entrances, and they will need the current entrance space for temporary exhibitions, as the existing temporary exhibition space becomes the street-level reception, shop and café. So, whatever today's intentions, the City may be tempted to remove highwalk access in future years, and use the two access points for new retail units: the 'active frontage' on which the City has recently become so keen. I think we can best ensure highwalk access for ourselves and visitors if we have new escalators and lifts by the new Museum entrance itself. 
But I think we face a much more serious threat. The Arts Centre, whether as cultural hub or otherwise, is desperate to improve street-level access. I think we should support any effort to tart up Beech Street, and I'd be happy to see visitors approaching the Museum from St Paul's, or coming out of the Museum at street level, be directed up Aldersgate Street and through Beech Street. However, I fear the Arts Centre will resurrect its idea to cut a new pedestrian route through the heart of the Barbican Estate at street level, which would be far, far noisier for the vast majority of residents than any highwalk footfall, and would destroy the oasis atmosphere of the Estate. I feel strongly we are much better off if the City can offer visitors an option straight up from the Museum entrance onto the highwalk, then round via Gilbert Bridge. 
I should say I don't see the slightest chance of changing the boundaries of the City's Area Reviews, even if they're not ideal from our particular perspective. I also don't see how the City could charge us for the highwalks, as it wouldn't be in our lease and the highwalks are public highways.

No comments :